Thoresway Village and church History
Photographs and research on this lovely little English village in the Lincolnshire Wolds.
Thoresway is a lovely little village not far from the Roman Town of Caistor and still has many interesting historic and architectural features.
Amid the rolling Wold hills sits St Mary’s church . . .
It’s Norman in origin but extensively rebuilt in 1878-1880 by James Fowler. Some of the medieval has survived but much is gone. One of the most interesting internal features can be seen below . . .
Thoresway does pre-date the Norman Conquest and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It’s listed as Toreswe and pre-conquest the good old Anglo-Saxon Lord of was Koddi - Rolf son of Skjaldvor, after the Battle of Hasting it was handed on a plate to Alfred of Lincoln !
It looks to have been of a decent size with 40 acres of meadows and 2 mills listed, no mention of a church or rector though so presumably no Anglo-Saxon church.
The etymology of the village name looks to be surely of Saxon origin though with Streatfeild suggesting the name is a corruption of Thoresvegr meaning Thor’s Road. He goes on to suggest that the village may have been a chief centre of Danish colonization and also that the name may not derive from above but be directly related to a site of Pagan Worship.
Earthworks are everywhere, an example shown above, and they date way back.
A probable Bronze Age round barrow cemetery, Neolithic, Roman, Medieval and Post Medieval finds and a Medieval Cistercian grange.
Roman and Medieval field boundaries abound, they’re everywhere and easily seen for those with an interest and an educated eye.
There’s a great deal to this village the the history therein. I would hope to go into all aspects of it in as much depth as we choose.
To that effect we’ll move over to comments below so we can mention and discuss any and all aspects and periods of Thoresway’s history.
All the best